Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Vision Statement
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves and beaches. Our success and impact depend on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working toward a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
We deeply believe that justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) is vital in our work to effectively advocate for our coasts. We are making the following commitments to elevate these values in our work, both internally and externally.
Our team commits to:
- Ensuring that our work to protect and enjoy our ocean, waves and beaches is for all people,
- Considering and addressing issues of environmental and social injustice in all of our campaigns,
- Being allies in solidarity and support of native Hawaiian, LGBTQ+, BIPOC, and other underrepresented communities throughout our work,
- Supporting and working together with neighboring organizations that are also fighting to protect the coastal environment and communities in complementary arenas,
- Prioritizing the embodiment of the diversity of the community in which we work within our chapter,
- Having JEDI principles prioritized internally within our organization and our campaigns and programs,
- Promoting openness and tackling microaggressions–there is no room for discriminatory behavior such as bullying and harassment in our organization,
- Recognizing the illegal overthrown Kingdom of Hawai’i and centering our perspectives and work through this understanding, and
- Recognizing that environmental issues are never isolated from social justice and will use an interdisciplinary lens to approach our work because of this.