Our Love For The Ocean Doesn’t Stop When We Leave The Beach…
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean. Interested in making a difference in your community? Join the national movement and become an Ocean Friendly Restaurants Member, choose an Ocean Friendly Restaurant near you for dining out, or join our volunteer team!
Stop the Problem At The Source
Plastic pollution is suffocating our ocean and the many animals that call it home. Researchers estimate there are now over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the ocean with 8.75 million metric tons being added every year. This pollution is impacting our marine ecosystems and wildlife including seabirds, dolphins, fish, turtles, and whales. Plastic fragments are even displacing plankton as the base of the food chain.
So what’s the best way to combat this global epidemic facing our ocean? It’s simple: we need to stop the problem at the source! The Surfrider Foundation’s Ocean Friendly Restaurants program does just that. One restaurant, one customer at a time, it increases awareness, drives behavior change, and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce our plastic footprint.
Find an Ocean Friendly Restaurant Near You
Use the OFR map or OFR list to find an Ocean Friendly Restaurant near you on Oahu or learn how to install the mobile app of OFRs across the country on your phone!
Become An Ocean Friendly Restaurant
Make a difference and join the national movement by becoming an Ocean Friendly Restaurant. Learn about how to qualify for the program, your membership benefits and how to register your restaurant!
What Makes a Restaurant “Ocean Friendly”?
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean. Restaurants participating must follow seven mandatory criteria and choose at least three of the optional criteria.
Restaurants participating must follow the first seven criteria:
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- No plastic bags are used for takeout or to-go orders.
- Single-use utensils, straws, condiments, and other accessory items are provided only upon request for takeout and to-go orders.
- *NEW* Beverages are not sold in plastic bottles.
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for naturally occurring materials (e.g. hay, bamboo) and reusables (e.g. metal, glass), not including bio-based plastic. Straws should be provided to anyone who needs one, including people with disabilities.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria:
- A discount is offered for customers with a reusable item (e.g. cup, container, bag).
- Vegetarian and vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.*
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts are in place.**
- *NEW* Concessions and pre-packaged food items are not sold in plastic packaging.
- *NEW* Composting efforts are in place for food waste.
- *NEW* Neither single-use plastic nor bio-based plastic containers are used for takeout or to-go orders, reusable containers are preferred.
Restaurants who meet all of the 15 criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
Interested in making a difference in your community? Join the national movement and become an Ocean Friendly Restaurants Member!
Join our Volunteer Team
We welcome any and all those interested in being part of our fun team of volunteers as we work with restaurants on Oahu to eliminate plastic waste and raise awareness about plastic pollution. Contact our OFR Coordinator Natalie Wohner at email@example.com, and learn how you can get involved!